R&D Technologist / Scientist
Icelandic Provisions has a solid consumer and business base to build on and we’re looking for a smart, motivated, and passionate product-focused individual to help build the future product experience of IP.
We believe in putting best-in-class products in the market and take pride in being a provisions company. We are a growing startup so it’s essential that this individual is comfortable with working in a dynamic, ever-changing work environment.
The Innovation Department overseas existing as well as new products and platforms.The ambition of the department is to create products and platforms that address the unmet needs of consumers, that compel retailers to want to stock, that positively impact the health + wellness of people and the world at large.
This role will have the opportunity to play a key role on projects from concept to commercialization. They will support the product development team in the development and scale up of new formulas, formula changes, and product changes. They will work closely with the Innovation, Operations, and Quality team, as well as external partners.
- Previous product development experience in a food company is required.
- BS required, in Food Science or closely related field.
- This position is based in our HQ in NYC. Hands-on lab and pilot plant work is expected.
- We are a small and mighty team. It is crucial to have a no task too small or too big mentality.
TO EXCEL IN THE ROLE
- Candidate must have a good understanding and hands-on experience with product development in the food industry. The candidate must demonstrate ability to follow, develop, or improve the process within the product development cycle. This individual should have the confidence to perform sensory and shelf-life evaluation. Qualifications include:
- Comfortable with developing/formulating/commercializing food products with minimal supervision.
- Good understanding of chemistry and microbiology and how they impact taste, texture, quality, and safety of food.
- Has a strong sensory skill and can identify and describe flavors in detail.
- Familiar working with external resources including suppliers and co-manufacturers.
- Comfortable to work in a manufacturing environment, can create benchtop/prototype samples and develop SOPs.
- Has a strong sense of entrepreneurialism and gets excited about taking new responsibilities.
- Passionate about natural food.
- The role requires tasting of different food products, and since IP is a dairy company it’s critical that this candidate is also a consumer of dairy products.
- Experience in or excited with fermentation.
- Experience in a dynamic CPG environment is a plus.
YOU’RE AN IDEAL CANDIDATE IF...
- You have experience and/or good knowledge with refrigerated CPG products.
- You enjoy developing great food.In fact, you thrive to develop great tasting food that’s also nutritious.
- You believe there’s always a better way. You ask lots of questions, actively seek the opinions of others and love working collaboratively.
- You are a “Swiss Army Knife” of talents, are comfortable with the often fluid, changing environment of a startup and want to make a positive and lasting impact on the food industry.
- You believe the key to building a better brand is to develop better products that effortlessly meet the unmet needs of consumers.
- The unknown, the ill-defined or the uncharted motivates you.
- You are looking for a work environment without a lot of hierarchy, you like empowerment and have a roll up your sleeves mentality.
- You are a strong “plan B” thinker and are the furthest thing from an over-thinker.
- You enjoy analytical approach while having a great sense and logic when it comes to problem solving.
- You believe in educated success and think that an industry failure rate of 80% for a new product is ridiculous.
- You are both a doer and an optimist.
- Has a passion for the natural foods industry and health + wellness.
- A healthy fascination and curiosity with Iceland is a plus.
WHAT ICELANDIC PROVISIONS OFFER:
Exciting work environment in a small team and a great deal of autonomy
Salary Range: $70,000-$90,000, commensurate with experience.
Competitive benefits package including medical, dental, & vision insurance as well as 401k matching.
Flexible paid time off allowing to manage your time as it works for you.
Delicious free Skyr available in the office.