R&D Technologist / Scientist
Icelandic Provisions has a solid consumer and business base to build on and we’re looking for a smart, motivated and passionate product-focused individual to help build the future product experience of IP.
We believe in putting best-in-class products in the market and take pride in being a provisions company. We are a growing startup so it’s essential that this individual is comfortable with working in a dynamic, ever-changing work environment.
The Innovation Department overseas existing as well as new products and platforms. The ambition of the department is to create products and platforms that address the unmet needs of consumers, that compel retailers to want to stock, that positively impact the health + wellness of people and the world at large.
This person would have the opportunity to take on projects from concept to commercialization. They would support the product development team in the development and scale up of new formulas, formula changes, and product changes. They would work very closely with the Innovation, Operation, Marketing and Quality team plus other partners.
- Candidate must have a good understanding and hands-on experience with product development in the food industry. The candidate must demonstrate ability to develop specifications for new products based on critical sensory and nutritional attributes. Qualifications include:
- Familiar with developing/formulating/commercializing food products with minimal supervision.
- Good understanding of chemistry and microbiology and how they impact taste, texture, and quality of food.
- Has a strong sensory skill and can identify and describe flavors in detail.
- Familiar working with external resources including suppliers and co-manufactures.
- Comfortable to work in a manufacturing environment, can create benchtop/prototype samples and develop SOPs.
- Has a strong sense of entrepreneurialism and gets excited about taking new responsibilities.
- Should be passionate about natural food.
- The role requires tasting of different food products, and since IP is a dairy company it’s critical that this candidate is also a consumer of dairy products.
- Experience in or excited with fermentation.
- Experience in a dynamic CPG environment is a plus.
- Has a no task too small or too big mentality.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant product development, or R&D experience in a food company.
- BS required, food science or culinary degree preferred.
- Has a passion for the natural foods industry and health + wellness.
- A healthy fascination with Iceland is a plus.
YOU’RE AN IDEAL CANDIDATE IF…
- You enjoy developing great food. In fact, you thrive to develop great tasting food that’s also nutritious.
- You believe there’s always a better way. You ask lots of questions, actively seek the opinions of others and love working collaboratively.
- You are a “Swiss Army Knife” of talents, are comfortable with the often fluid, changing environment of a startup and want to make a positive and lasting impact on the food industry.
- You believe the key to building a better brand is to develop better products that effortlessly meet the unmet needs of consumers.
- The unknown, the ill-defined or the uncharted motivates you.
- You are looking for a work environment without a lot of hierarchy, you like empowerment and have a roll up your sleeves mentality.
- You are a strong “plan B” thinker and are the furthest thing from an over-thinker.
- You enjoy analytical approach while having a great sense and logic when it comes to problem solving.
- You believe in educated success and think that an industry failure rate of 80% for a new product is ridiculous.
- You are both a doer and an optimist.