Product Development Manager
Icelandic Provisions has a solid consumer and business base to build on and we’re looking for a smart, motivated and passionate product-focused individual to help keep our current business fresh and, importantly, help create, stage and build the future product experience of IP. We are a startup so it’s essential that this individual is comfortable with working in a dynamic, ever-changing work environment.
The Innovation Department overseas existing as well as new products and platforms. The ambition of the department is to create products and platforms that address the unmet needs of consumers, that compel retailers to want to stock, that positively impact the health + wellness of people and the world at large.
This person would be the product development arm of the innovation discipline within IP. They would work very closely with our innovation strategy/insights/business development team. They would also work closely with our internal operations department and external manufacturing partners. They would be responsible for renovating existing products when necessary as well as developing and commercializing new platforms from the ground up based on the direction of the strategy/insights/business development team.
- Candidate must have a strong understanding and hands-on experience with all aspects of product development with a proven ability to lead and commercialize multi-faceted development projects in a dynamic, CPG environment. Qualifications include:
- Proven track record of developing/formulating/commercializing food products on their own OR by directing external product development companies/raw material suppliers.
- Has a proven ability to work in a manufacturing environment, can create benchtop/prototype samples and lead line trials/shelf life testing.
- Can lead existing ingredient supplier relationships as well as locating and forging new ones.
- Has strong sensory skills and an opinion about what great food tastes like.
- Has a strong sense of entrepreneurialism and a proven ability to lead workstreams.
- Should be passionate about natural food.
- Since IP is a dairy company it’s critical that this candidate is also a consumer of dairy products.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant product development, or R&D experience in a food company.
- Has a passion for the natural foods industry and health + wellness.
- A healthy fascination with Iceland is a plus.
- BA required, food science degree preferred.
YOU’RE AN IDEAL CANDIDATE IF…
- You think developing great food is fun. In fact, it should compel and fascinate you.
- You are a “Swiss Army Knife” of talents, are comfortable with the often fluid, changing environment of a startup and want to make a positive and lasting impact on the food industry.
- You believe the key to building a better brand is to develop better products that effortlessly meet the unmet needs of consumers.
- You ask lots of questions, actively seek the opinions of others and love working collaboratively.
- The unknown, the ill-defined or the uncharted does not phase you.
- You are looking for a work environment without a lot of hierarchy, you like empowerment and have a roll up your sleeves mentality.
- You are a strong “plan B” thinker and are the furthest thing from an over-thinker.
- You believe that an industry failure rate of 80% for a new product is ridiculous.
- You are both a doer and an optimist.