Director of Operations
Icelandic Provisions is a food start up with lines of dairy and plant based Skyr, made the traditional Icelandic way. With a solid consumer and business base to build on, we are looking for smart, motivated, and passionate individuals to join our growing team to help build the future of IP. We believe in putting best-in-class products in the market and take pride in being a provisions company. We are a growing start-up, so it is essential that candidates looking to join IP are comfortable working in a dynamic, ever-changing work environment.
Here are some additional interesting facts about our company:
- Icelandic Provisions (IP) mission statement is: STRENGTHENING BODIES AND MINDS THROUGH PURE PROVISIONS CREATED WITH ICELANDIC OPTIMISM AND PURPOSE.
- IP has been among the fastest growing yogurt brands in the category since launching in 2016.
- Distribution has grown from 600 to over 10,000 stores in only four years. Retailers include Whole Foods, Wegmans, Safeway, Kroger, Target, HEB, Meijer, Publix, Ahold and Sprouts.
- As of Fall 2020, the portfolio has 22 SKUs with new and exciting launches to come in 2021 and beyond.
- Popular news/media outlet “Consumer Reports” reviewed all major yogurts in the category and concluded that IP was the #1 best tasting and healthiest.
- In July 2019, IP launched a new whole milk range that has already garnered two different World Dairy Innovation Awards, numerous top picks from key offline and online news media and shout outs by celebrities like Sarah Jessica Parker (unpaid). And in 2020 IP launched an extension of that line called Fruit & Nuts.
The Director of Operations is responsible for leading and driving value and results in sourcing and procurement, COGS optimization, long-term capacity planning, related operational Capex management and supply chain readiness for new products. This role requires strong stakeholder collaboration skills and the ability to adapt and thrive in a high-growth, fast-paced environment. The central challenge of the role is to continue to build supply chain capability and scale. Icelandic Provision’s supply chain operations support and enable company growth plans.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
SOURCING & PROCUREMENT:
- Develop and drive strategic sourcing for direct materials and services into practical contracting strategies consistent with business objectives and negotiated outcomes.
- Address business, market and supplier risks with well-defined terms, conditions, and contingencies.
- Apply contemporary sourcing methods to deliver total cost value creation and supply assurance.
- When supplier performance issues emerge, identify root causes and drive for efficient resolution of issues at hand by working across both internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with co-manufacturers to execute purchasing for sourced materials.
- Develop long-term (12+ months) capacity plans for suppliers and co-manufacturers to meet business growth objectives.
- Define capital needs and partner with Finance on associated Capex plans for proprietary manufacturing equipment in use at co-manufacturing partner locations.
SUPPLY CHAIN OPTIMIZATION:
- Identify and execute opportunities to improve COGS, inclusive of supplier integration and innovation, operational debottlenecking, and supply chain cost improvement projects.
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT:
- Partner with Innovation team on supply chain readiness for new products.
- Lead operational Capex readiness for commercialization of NPD launches.
Minimum of 8 years of supply chain leadership experience in a CPG company of appropriate size, structure, and complexity required (e.g., high growth, co-pack manufacturing, national distribution), experience with perishable products a plus.
Demonstrated experience with multiple supply chain functions and associated leading practices:
- Sourcing, contracting, and supplier management for direct materials and services related to 3rdparty contract manufacturing and 3PL providers.
- Broad domain expertise, preferably with experience in direct materials and packaging procurement in CPG environments.
- Possesses strong commercial acumen and negotiation skills; expert understanding of the role of terms, conditions, and other contracting requirements in managing corporate risk.
- Experience partnering with third-party manufacturing and logistics providers.
SUPPLY CHAIN PLANNING:
- Long-term capacity planning, inclusive of suppliers, co-packers, and related proprietary manufacturing equipment.
- Partner with Innovation team on supply chain readiness for new product introduction.
- Experience creating long-term capacity models, developing long-term capacity forecasts, defining capacity bottlenecks, and identifying potential capacity solutions.
- Experience defining Capex needs as they relate to long-term capacity planning.
SUPPLY CHAIN OPTIMIZATION:
- Cost improvement leadership, inclusive of COGS management, supplier innovation, debottlenecking, and cost improvement projects. Partner with Finance on capital investment program.
Demonstrated experience and distinctive results optimizing supply chain and fulfillment performance in a transformational and/or rapidly scaling environment through the adoption of a formal operating system:
- Experience creating and implementing business operating systems within a high-change, under-resourced, and/or unsophisticated environment.
- Success developing and institutionalizing KPI’s to manage supply chain performance including safety, quality, inventory optimization, profit margins, and customer service across an enterprise.
- Understanding of supply chain KPIs – customer order fill rates, inventory turnover, excess and short-dated inventory management and forecast accuracy.
- Expert-level financial, quantitative, and analytical skills.
- Track record of year-over-year delivery of distinctive value and implemented savings from sourcing/category management. Results always reflect total cost of ownership perspective.
- Embraces fact‐based decision making; naturally seeks to leverage and/or integrate market data, spend analytics, and cost modeling.
- Depth of experience in spend analytics, strategic sourcing, and supplier performance management.
LEADERSHIP & ENGAGEMENT:
- A self-starter with a natural bias for action with a focus on results delivery and customer service; moves with a sense of urgency and easily anticipates next steps, follow-up actions and leadership direction.
- Excels in high-growth, entrepreneurial environments, comfortable rolling up your sleeves when necessary.
- Genuine excitement for the mission of the business and consistent with core values, i.e. authentic, ambitious, hard charging.
- A track record of developing and managing successful leadership structures and bench strength.
- Measure’s progress and success while holding the organization accountable for performance.
- Gains relevance across the organization through relationship building and a real sense of service.
- Able to work across the organization; connects with all levels, easily accepts constructive input from others.
- A flexible, dynamic, self-demanding and proactive individual; able to motivate self and others, a natural bias for action and ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Effectively management communications with strong escalation judgement.
- Strong project management skills, including stakeholder, timeline, and meeting management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills; comfortable and credible with both internal stakeholders and external audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree required; preference for Supply Chain, Business, or Engineering; MBA preferred.
- Ability to travel 20% domestically.
The ideal candidate for any role within Icelandic Provisions needs to align to the values by exemplifying WÁOO (pronounced WOW!) in the way that they lead. We will naturally be assessing for the “wáoo” factor (i.e., did they “wáoo” you and will they “wáoo” others?) Here’s how we describe it: Welcoming, Ámbitious, Optimistic, On with the butter!
- WELCOMING – Food is one of the greatest connectors we have as humans. In the English language the word “companion,” in Spanish the word “companero,” in Italian the word “compagno,” and in French the word “copain” all come from the Latin meaning“with whom one eats bread.” We love this because we are a provisions company, and we value and embrace how food brings us together. So, it’s only natural that we are looking for talent that is hospitable, welcoming everyone and treating & accepting everyone as this is a core part of the culture at IP.
- AMBITIOUS – We have big dreams. We are eager, brave, passionate and love to punch above our weight. We compete in one of the most competitive categories in the consumer-packaged goods retail landscape and we are a small and mighty team. We are seeking individuals who are smart, entrepreneurial believers who are energized by charging toward a common goal to join our team.
- OPTIMISTIC – We are a glass half full company. Iceland is regarded as one of the happiest countries on earth despite being dark for much of the year. We are looking for individuals who are focused on the upside and shy away from negativity and know how to persevere no matter what the circumstances are.
- ON WITH THE BUTTER! – Put simply we do not like to dilly-dally. We connect dots, move, and then move on. There is an Icelandic phrase that is used to encourage people to get on with it called “áfram með smjörið” which literally translates as “get on with the butter.” We are seeking individuals who know how to make informed decisions and then quickly action them.
YOU’RE AN IDEAL CANDIDATE IF…
- You think working in a fast paced, ever changing, entrepreneurial environment is exciting
- You believe there is always a better way. You ask lots of questions, actively seek the opinions of others and love working collaboratively
- You are a “Swiss Army Knife” of talents and are comfortable with the often fluid, changing environment of a startup and want to make a positive and lasting impact
- The unknown, the ill-defined or the uncharted motivates you
- You are looking for a work environment without a lot of hierarchy, you like empowerment and have a “roll up your sleeves” mentality
- You have strong analytical skills balanced with a great sense of logic and pragmatism when it comes to problem solving
- You are self-aware, you pay attention to organizational dynamics, and you are comfortable pacing how you influence and drive organizational change
- You are both a doer and an optimist
WHAT ICELANDIC PROVISIONS OFFER:
- Exciting work environment in a small team and a great deal of autonomy
- Flexibility to work remotely or in our New York City offices
- Competitive benefits package including health, dental, vision insurance and 401k matching
- Flexible paid time off allowing to manage your time as it works for you
- Delicious Skyr available (for free) in the office