Icelandic Provisions is an early-stage growth company that provides essential nutrition rooted in the Nordic Food Philosophy. The flagship product, dairy Skyr, is the only authentic Icelandic Skyr brand in the United States that uses heirloom Skyr cultures and the original recipe that is beloved across Iceland.
The Nordic way of life is not only deeply rooted in the quality of the Icelandic Provisions’ products but runs deep in the organizational culture through the WÁOO (pronounced WOW!) values. When we are attracting talent to join our growing organization, a natural question we ask is whether the candidate brings the “wáoo” factor? We describe is as: Welcoming, Ámbitious, Optimistic, and On with the butter!
With a strong consumer and business base to build on, we are looking for product-obsessed, passionate individuals who are energized about rapid growth and achievement and want to be a part of the happy, healthy cultural movement that we are leading. We believe in putting best-in-class products in the market and take pride in what we are building, “making everything count” along the way.
The Category Analyst will report directly to the Director of Sales Strategy and play an essential role in the continued exponential growth of the Icelandic Provisions brand. The role will partner with the selling organization to track and analyze point of sale KPIs and consumer dynamics in order to drive the business forward. This position is a backbone role in the organization that services key stakeholders at all levels and across functional teams at Icelandic Provisions. The role requires strong collaboration and analytical skills as well as the ability to adapt and thrive in a high-growth, fast-paced environment.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Director of Sales Strategy in the development and commercialization of merchandising, assortment, shelving, and pricing guidelines.
- Responsible for designing, maintaining, and improving KPI reporting across syndicated data platforms including Nielsen, SPINS, and customer portal data.
- Identify customer opportunities through category management scorecards and other gap analysis.
- Develop fact based selling and merchandising stories related to new item launches or key initiatives at customer.
- Utilize understanding of market dynamics, consumer trends, and shopper trends to deliver category insights to internal and external stakeholders.
- Recommend customer specific optimized assortment and shelving recommendations.
- Play an integral part in the annual sales planning process through data analysis and customer knowledge to assist sales directors in assortment and promotional opportunities.
- Establish a strong collaborative relationship with Sales, Finance, Marketing and Innovation teams.
- Related Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of successful CPG experience in category management/insights and/or strategy.
- Experience creating and maintaining sales reporting.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Exemplify strong verbal/written communication, listening, work planning and organization skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of syndicated data including Nielsen and/or IRI POS and Panel data and Shopper Card data.
- Proven ability in building highly collaborative working relationships, especially with sales team.
- Must have the ability to work in conditions that include multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities.
- Ability to gain cooperation and collaborate within teams.
- Ability to analyze data to answer questions and provide solutions for functional partners.
- Ability to be flexible and work in an environment where process isn’t always defined
- Has authentic passion for Icelandic Provisions’ brand and is energized by working with a small and passionate team.
The ideal candidate for any role within Icelandic Provisions needs to align to the values by exemplifying WÁOO (pronounced WOW!) in the way that they lead. We will naturally be assessing for the “wáoo” factor (i.e., did they “wáoo” you and will they “wáoo” others?) Here’s how we describe it: Welcoming, Ámbitious, Optimistic, On with the butter!
- WELCOMING – Food is one of the greatest connectors we have as humans. In the English language the word “companion,” in Spanish the word “companero,” in Italian the word “compagno,” and in French the word “copain” all come from the Latin meaning“with whom one eats bread.” We love this because we are a provisions company, and we value and embrace how food brings us together. So, it’s only natural that we are looking for talent that is hospitable, welcoming everyone and treating & accepting everyone as this is a core part of the culture at IP.
- AMBITIOUS – We have big dreams. We are eager, brave, passionate and love to punch above our weight. We compete in one of the most competitive categories in the consumer-packaged goods retail landscape and we are a small and mighty team. We are seeking individuals who are smart, entrepreneurial believers who are energized by charging toward a common goal to join our team.
- OPTIMISTIC – We are a glass half full company. Iceland is regarded as one of the happiest countries on earth despite being dark for much of the year. We are looking for individuals who are focused on the upside and shy away from negativity and know how to persevere no matter what the circumstances are.
- ON WITH THE BUTTER! – Put simply we do not like to dilly-dally. We connect dots, move, and then move on. There is an Icelandic phrase that is used to encourage people to get on with it called “áfram með smjörið” which literally translates as “get on with the butter.” We are seeking individuals who know how to make informed decisions and then quickly action them.
YOU’RE AN IDEAL CANDIDATE IF…
- You think working in a fast paced, ever changing, entrepreneurial environment is exciting
- You believe there is always a better way. You ask lots of questions, actively seek the opinions of others and love working collaboratively
- You are a “Swiss Army Knife” of talents and are comfortable with the often fluid, changing environment of a startup and want to make a positive and lasting impact
- The unknown, the ill-defined or the uncharted motivates you
- You are looking for a work environment without a lot of hierarchy, you like empowerment and have a “roll up your sleeves” mentality
- You have strong analytical skills balanced with a great sense of logic and pragmatism when it comes to problem solving
- You are self-aware, you pay attention to organizational dynamics, and you are comfortable pacing how you influence and drive organizational change
- You are both a doer and an optimist
WHAT ICELANDIC PROVISIONS OFFER:
- Exciting work environment in a small team and a great deal of autonomy
- Flexibility to work remotely or in our New York City offices
- Competitive benefits package including health, dental, vision insurance and 401k matching
- Flexible paid time off allowing to manage your time as it works for you
- Delicious Skyr available (for free) in the office